Saturday, February 20, 2010

"Teal, and Turquoise, and Gold-Oh, My . . ."


Greetings all,

Inspiration can come from almost anywhere. And rarely comes when one demands that it appear. It's best to just keep one's eyes open. Just after the beginning of the year, I had the overwhelming urge to move into a new place. It was almost overwhelming. The need for a new challenge. A new space to create.

But then, I had an even better idea - because I love my little flat out by the beach. So instead of packing and moving across the city - I want to take the next few months and re-create my existing space that I already love so much.

But first, on a tangentially related topic . . . Isaac Mizrahi for Fall 2010. This week was the Fall 2010 Fashion Week in New York - with each of the major designers presenting their personal vision for the coming season - yes, I know it's February and the 'coming season' is next fall - but, it's the fashion industry. They need some lead-time. lol.

Isaac Mizrahi. Fall 2010.
(Click here to see the entire show)

Breathtaking. The evening wear portion of the show actually took place in an on-stage snowfall. Beautiful metallics, lush cashmeres, and wonderful hand-beading. It was magical.
And I love this specific image. The cool, reserved blue lighting. The great contrast of textures.
Glamorous. Theatrical. Luxurious.
(all words I really love.)


This gown actually closed the show. I love the architecture of the bodice, and that enormous frothy skirt . . . the unabashed romance of the dress just appeals to me.
And the burnished gold against the blue is marvelous.

There's been a great deal of 'chatter' about the great coming of 'turquoise' for 2010.
And I'm thinking I might end up being a part of it.
That being said, I've never been a huge fan of following specific design trends. I put more faith in my own internal compass. And the investments we make in our homes so often outlive the time frame of any trend- But, with the same reasoning that I wouldn't slavishly follow a trend, I'm also not going to ignore something that truly appeals to me - just because it's the new 'hot' colour.

And because I found this - Tea Party from Jim Thompson.
And I'm totally in love. 100% linen. I was a little concerned about the 'hand' of the fabric - but, I tossed the memo-sample in with my wash the other day - and it popped out of the dryer feeling amazing. So I'm going to pre-wash all the yardage before sending it to my workroom.

" Yay! "

(not my chair.
and not really my style.
but, damn, I'm really loving this fabric!)

And a little more colour inspiration.
A new set of antique plates that I bought last weekend here in San Francisco.


I'm beginning to play with ideas.
And I think I might be onto something.
I'll keep you informed of the progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

malikimrana1@gmail.com

Search This Blog

Labels